After looking at a blog from Matt George, I wondered how it feels to be gay in Australia. Matt George says he is a “stereotypical gay guy living in Sydney, Australia”, but what is stereotypical in the Land Down Under?
Supposedly, being openly gay, lesbian, or transgender in Australia is easier than it used to be but not as easy as being open about your lifestyle as it is most of Europe, and North America, excluding Mexico. While discrimination is illegal and Sydney and Melbourne are a gay-friendly cities, there is not much support for people choosing to live an openly gay lifestyle elsewhere in Australia, mainly because many openly gay younger people move to Sydney.
I learned that there really is no stereotypical gay man in Australia. While Aussies are tolerant and diverse, gays living outside major cities are often isolated. Support groups and social events are abundant in Sydney and Melbourne but practically non-existent in other areas. Some men (and women) escape to a large city while others struggle to create acceptance and support in their own community, with differing results.
Openly gay public figures like politicians, TV and movie stars and sports figures have made is easier to be open about being gay but pockets of discrimination still exist, as they do in every developed country. There are no stereotypical Americans, Canadians or Europeans either; people living in the same country will have vastly different experiences being openly gay.
It is not surprising that parents need help understanding what it means to eat healthy. From the food pyramid to the last fat food, the avalanche of information available on this subject can be quite disorienting. The good news is that you do not need to graduate in nutrition to raise healthy children. Following some basic guidelines, you can create a home environment that encourages healthy eating and maintaining a healthy weight.
Here are 10 basic rules to follow:
Parents are those who control the supply lines. It is you who decide what food purchased at home and when served. Although it is expected that the children can give their parents to let them eat less nutritious foods, it is adults who decide what food come home. Children will not be left hungry because at home there what they most want to eat. They will eat whatever is in the cupboards and the fridge. If your child’s favorite snack is nothing nutritious, still and all, you can buy it from time to time to not gorged on the food as soon falls into their hands.
From food to offer his son, let choose what to eat or whether to eat. Children should also have a say in the matter. The selection of food to offer his son, who wants to let you choose what to eat and how much you want to eat. It may seem that this is giving too much freedom. But, if you follow the first recommendation of this list, your child can only choose healthy foods that you have decided to buy and prepare.
Forget the maxim of “clean your plate”. Allow your child to finish eating when satisfy your appetite. Many of the people who are now parents are educated with maximum clean plate, but this approach does not help the children to listen to your body to know when they have eaten enough. If a child learns to recognize the feeling of fullness and react accordingly, are less likely to eat more than I should.
Start early. Food preferences are acquired very early in life, so start early to give your child a wide range of foods. Likes and dislikes regarding the food begin to develop during infancy. Also, you may need to give try a new food to your child several times before they accept it. Do not force him to eat, simply offer a few bites of food you want to introduce into your diet.
Rewrite the typical children’s menu. When you go on eating out, let your child try new dishes. It may surprise you desire to experience. You can start leaving a little taste of what you asked or asking a capful or reduced ration for the try.
The beverage calories count. The soft drinks and other sweetened beverages add calories and get in the way of healthy eating. Water and milk are the best drinks for children. The juice is good when it is at 100%, but children do not need to drink lots of juice. With 115 to 170 ml per day, 4 to 6 ounces, enough for a preschooler.
Put the candy in place. It’s okay to take candy from time to time, but do not make the dessert in the most desired dish meals. When the dessert becomes the prize for eating nice dinner, it is normal for children to give more value to the broccoli cake. Try to maintain a neutral attitude towards food.
Do not confuse food with love Find better ways to say “I love you”. When you use food to reward children and / or to show affection, children can begin using it as a mechanism to cope with stress or other negative emotions. Instead of rewarding your child with their favorite dishes, hug, praise and pay attention.
Children make their parents do. Set a good example for your child eating healthily. The best way to teach good eating habits your child is eating well. Take nutritious snacks, eat at the table and do not skip meals.
Limit TV and computer time. Thus, keep your child mechanically foundered while in front of a screen and it will encourage physical activity. Research has shown that children who reduce hours of television also reduce your body fat percentage. When they are limiting TV and computer time, children are more active ways of spending time. And, if the whole family limited time spent betray any kind of screen, will have more time to be active together.
It’s part of history believe this place was occupied only women, but times have changed and we have modernized, and today there are men who decide to stay at home while their wives go out to work. This is not easy for some, but most agree that this place is the one who does not care what people think or to feel less than his wife, because he understands that taking care of their children and the home and is a great job.
And, in turn, this has created new habits as might have been created as parent clubs that are in the same situation and who meet at least once a week and do activities together with children, such as going to the park or to shoppping, or stay together in one house, to be changing.
This creates a great bond between father and son, which previously used to give only the mother, in general. When these parents retake a job and out of your home, is the time when children do not want to come off of it, because their close bond is hard to break.
I think it’s something you can not miss to try, because surely they will learn a million things you never learn at work.
Read every day with the children will encourage their desire to know, learn and discover, and parents will be establishing a special bond between us.
Interest in reading should instill a baby from the crib and trying, with persistence and dedication to become a habit.
It is essential for children to learn to seek knowledge by reading from an early age., Children should hear stories as soon as possible, it is also recommended to do so having preconceived an hour a day to do so, it might be when sleep, or after eating, and away from distractions.
To create the habit is recommended:
• Let your child see you with a book in hand, children feel more interest in reading a book if they see that this habit is present in their environment. If they notice that you like to read and you treat the books with care and respect, they probably will do the same.
• The reading should be used as a form of entertainment and not as an obligation. Contact with the books should start as soon as possible.
• When the baby gets to sit firmly on the floor or in the crib, offer books to drive, there are books specifically designed for children at this age the secret is to make the baby look at the book as a toy with which can learn.
• From 3 years ideally reading aloud, always following the stories of the book, and if a book is boring, forget it and find one that is interesting.
• A good idea to visit a library carry the child to become familiar with books and learn how to handle them, and will be building a friendship, a bond with reading.
• Another way to stimulate children’s interest in books, is turning a book into a prize, a gift.
• It is necessary for the child to participate in the reading. After reading the story ask him to tell what happened to a character, or you liked this story.
Many parents tend to overprotect their children, without allowing them to take a step that could make them take risks. Although it is obvious that encourages a love for their children, should know that with this attitude-Unconscious in all cases-indeed are causing minor damage.
Parents in excessive worry and fear for their children’s children end up making them fearful, insecure and distrustful. There is no other way to educate humans brave and intelligent than allowing the diverse challenges of reality.
It is natural that the process is gradual, it will gradually giving parents the child independence to the extent that it reaches a certain level, but how could implement what you learn if continually hide behind a shield?
Two very important things every parent should know: first, children are not pets, but beings preparing to integrate into society when the time comes and, second, life is a journey in itself risky. Just let them move against the attacks of existence by providing the necessary support as people with more experience will be the best way to protect them.
When children are young, the tendency of parents is to solve these minor problems. However, its function is not overprotect or act for children but to guide, advise.
Observers should be humble, very difficult after feeling the center of life of its small, sure, but absolutely necessary for the good health of the relationship and for the optimal development of the child.
Parents who are documented on the tools that exist to help children with autism may help alleviate many of the stressors that are common in a family with a child like this. Here are some simple tools that parents can use everyday.
- Lean with Pivot Treatment Response
One of the most popular current treatments and effective for children with autism, is the pivot Response Treatment (Pivotal Response Treatment, PRT), which uses natural learning opportunities to identify and modify key behaviors that lead to rapid and effective . Now parents can learn the basics of PRT with The PRT Pocket Guide: Pivotal Response Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorders’, a quick and practical treatment of the developers, Robert and Lynn Koegel. Full of useful tips and vivid examples based on real children, this concise guide reveals the secrets to motivate children with natural reinforces to reduce destructive behaviors by encouraging communication and social initiations, helping families cope with daily routines and more.
- Increase your attention
The ability to focus on a specific task until completion is a fundamental skill for life. Whether you clean your room or to call a friend to invite him to play, children depend on the instructions of others and the ability to execute those instructions by themselves. Parents can increase their children’s attention and ability to follow instructions with the software, HearBuilder Following Directions Home Edition. Created by Super Duper Publications, covers 40 basic concepts that help children ages 4 to 9 years to improve their listening skills and following directions, while participating in fun interactive games. This research-based program automatically adjusts the difficulty level based on performance that has the child.
- Keep the Promise
While many children on the autism spectrum tend to focus on their own individual interests rather than those of those around them, it is imperative that parents and family members create positive memories and to engage in activities that will make the child develop a personal interest in the world around you. Games can be an excellent way to connect with the child, but often this can be confusing and overwhelming for children with autism. Turns MagneTalk and Topics with a magnetic board game for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, children are able to have fun, improve their concentration and communication skills, and learn basic gameplay. The game features four panels that increase the difficulty of the game. Read the rest of this entry »
It is clear that having a child forces us to adapt our way of life and adjust to the needs and welfare baby.
Sometimes we resist this change everything we can. We want to continue bringing our lifestyle, keep our hobbies, keep the social rhythm that we had not dispense with our hobbies or activities rooted.
In some cases it may be entirely feasible and parenthood need not be a radical change in our lives. However, before making a decision on what to do or not do when we have a child, should be more prudent, consistent and have more common sense.
Sometimes we want to have children or be “road” and we must never forget they are children. Some argue that they have to get used to everything, we can not have them in a glass case, overprotected and in cotton but I think to some extent, they deserve the special attention and protection.
We can go out to dinner and drinks with babies in their cars, get used to sleep with the noise. If a child is sleepy, eventually slept outside noise around you. But perhaps you’re doing a disservice. The child does not rest well, can you wake up in the middle of the night or to unveil when you get home and, without realizing it, we have created a state of stress. Interrupt the sleep of infants, may cause future disorders that affect the child.
They can also join us for a concert or, now Fallas in Valencia, a mascletá, but their ears are very sensitive, they do not know what is happening and any shock will alter too.
Many parents do not want to give up our holidays and think about the trip that we would do to us, regardless of which now carry more luggage. Like too many hours of travel, or spend all day at the beach does not suit the small or baby food to eat every day is not recommended.
If parents want to be modern, we must not forget that babies do not understand fashion and lifestyles. They just released in this world and what they need most is peace, care, affection and attention.
The revolution has meant the use of the Internet is amazing, whether for labor, entertainment, to investigate, communicate, and so on. The website allows access to tons of information and we as adults have to sail calm approach, but our children are not. For them the ability to surf without limit corresponds to impulsivity and need for immediate gratification with children.
The odds of encountering content inappropriate for their age are immense, and they do not happen we can give some advice, so they take advantage of this technology and protect themselves.
1. The risks are crime (theft of information, pedophilia), unsuitable areas (eg pornography) or that are overwhelming (explicit violence, violent games, etc.)..
2. Search engines like Google store the history of websites visited (see if this option is enabled).
3. So you can monitor your children’s computer located in a place where transit, a lounge is a great place.
4. If you are very young children and go surfing with them and teaching them to sites they can visit and which not.
5. Teach them to never share personal information (address, phone number, school you attend, credit cards) and never engage in video conversations with people who do not know.
6. Reminder that not everything you see or read online is real or true.
7. Limit the time you spend online to enjoy other activities.
Finally, we recommend that parents use a commercial program that limits access to areas considered inappropriate, such as Parental Control, Control-Kids, at least initially until the discriminatory power of self-sufficient children in navigation.
Your children will not ignore you? Are tantrums whenever you’re in public? Are they aggressive? Do not want to sleep at night? Are they difficult to mealtime? Nina Hofman, the babysitter called ABC program ‘Supernanny’ gives his tips to control unruly children.
Although it seems impossible, Jo Frost, a British nanny with 15 years of career experience and a totally oriented to the education of children, shows how you can have a wonderful family with children disciplined and above all happy, even with the most difficult children.
Children rather than impossible
Since children do not want to sleep aggressive children who are disrespectful to both parents and siblings. With an extremely easy to implement technique, Jo Frost does the kids were well behaved, happier and with a familiar rhythm worthy of the highest accolades. All this in just two weeks!
An easy technique to implement
Steps to follow:
1. Structuring the day to the last detail to begin implementing a rhythm in the house for children translates into compliance and security
2. Every time a child should be ignored:
a. Lowering the level of the child’s eyes
b. Saying that the act or gesture is not acceptable (looking into his eyes)
c. Use a firm tone but quietly
3. If the child repeats the act is not desirable
4. He takes the child to a chair, rug or room for misconduct
5. The child is left there 1 minute for each year or if you have 3 years would be 3 minutes, during which no one speaks to him
6. At the end of the period prisoner, you have to ask if he knows why is there and if you are not sure why
7. After the child has to look into your eyes and give you a pardon
8. End with a hug and a kiss
In just two weeks
Implementing these steps by both parents (especially the father who spends more time with children) children just obeying. Best of all, the screaming just completely, the family begins to function without tension, nervousness and anger continued.
A family where the children end up being happier in the day to day because they know well the limits of what is allowed and what not and what the consequences mommy or daddy to disobey.
The arrival of a newborn to the family is a source of joy, but also the announcement of possible problems with older children, who until now have been the “kings of the house,” especially if it is an only child.
Jealousy is inevitable to a greater or lesser extent, so we must accept as natural. All children often feel that the arrival of brother robs them of their place in the family. Only the love of parents can overcome such feelings and reactions become something lasting.
There are no magic bullets, but something that helps parents allowed the child to be active part of the period of pregnancy. In this way feel that you are not marginalized or him away.
The months of pregnancy are great for the child gradually gets used to the idea of ??having to share their parents, their space and perhaps also their toys.
It is necessary to consider certain recommendations to help better prepare the child:
- Parents should be those who give the news, not a relative or friend.
- Talk with the child’s good to know how you feel and, at the same time for parents discuss their own feelings about it.
- It is worth mentioning that other children have siblings.
- If possible, visit someone who has had a baby recently.
- When discussing the issue, it is convenient to refer to “our baby” to convey that to be a member of the family.
- To help the child to become aware of the existence of a brother, you may be invited to feel the kicks that gives the baby to move in the womb.
- It’s good to give kisses and hugs to guatita, bearing in mind that the inside is your brother.
- The child can attend an ultrasound, if your doctor allows. The opportunity is to explain what you see is a baby growing inside the mother.
- It’s good that they do participate in the choice of name.
- When you buy something the baby, tie a small gift to the child as well.
- It is recommended to participate in choosing the furniture in the room.
- Go together to buy the clothes and let him choose a garment.
- Could make clothes that he has used when small and choose what you will lend a brother.
- After shopping or the doctor, it’s good to share with your child and make something together.
- If changes of room, it is convenient to do so well before the birth, to prevent the child thinks that move.
- If a little girl, can they be motivated to play with dolls, to acquaint you with the process. It is convenient to buy toys that represent each one of you. The child can create stories involving the baby.
- There are stories that tell of the arrival of a baby home. Would be good if you read this type of literature.
Above all these recommendations, the most important thing is that they make you feel you love him, explain and reiterate as love him and that the arrival of a sibling will not change how they feel about it. This is necessary to avoid a feeling of abandonment arises in the small.
After the birth
Childbirth is a time of great excitement and commotion time and therefore must take into account a number of indications:
The clinic and the arrival at the house:
- The days when the mother is confined must leave at home, preferably with a relative. The child should not these days staying in another house, since his return may have feelings that his brother has invaded their space and that caused his departure from the house.
- It is good to the hospital to see his mom and see the baby, explaining where to go beforehand and why.
- It is desirable that the child is welcome in the house to the new family member.
- When someone comes to know the baby, try to attend to the child too, to feel that they take into account.
- Let her see the child the things you will be able to teach his brother when he grows up.
- Permítamle touching and stroking the infant, as this will close the bond between children.
- It is also advisable to ask for help to the child, in some tasks related to the baby, to feel that provides the care.
- Highlight the importance of being the largest and the advantages. For example, go biking with friends and going to movies, among other things.
- Try not to modify the child’s routines.
Nor should fall into the opposite extreme, exaggerating or concern for the older children. The more natural than the parents and explain that love is shared equally among all the brothers, things will go better. If so overprotective or act differently than usual, children feel that something strange happens.
Jealousy would have to go to the extent that they all used to the situation. Impress the child is essential that their presence and collaboration are essential to the care of his brother, which creates a positive attitude towards the baby and helps to create a fraternal bond between them.
Despite following these recommendations, there may be different in your child’s behavior that indicate the presence of jealousy. Some are normal and only lasts about three to four months. However, if you believe that undermines or lasts a long time is good to ask a professional orientation, for example, a child psychologist.
Reactions that the child may have:
Parents should be aware that it is likely that before the arrival of a brother, his son go back in some learning, including:
- To urinate, if you already warned.
- Try to get attention, when parents are busy.
- Difficulty in sleep and poor sleep.
- Be daring and disobedient to those around him.
- Mourn than usual, for anything.
- Assaulting the baby with tweaks and minor knocks. In that case, we must make him see that this is wrong and must care for his brother.
- Problems in school performance, if you go to school.